Ames garage fire does $50K in damage

Fire officials are investigating a garage fire early Tuesday morning in central Ames.  Firefighters responded to the fire at 226 S. Hazel Ave. at about 12:15 a.m. after a neighbor heard “popping sounds” and saw flames out the window. Crews arrived at the home and immediately noted fire visible from a detached garage. The fire was quickly contained as police officers alerted residents near the fire. The garage sustained significant interior damage to 50 percent of the structure and contents inside. A house east of the garage and a car parked near it were also damaged by heat from fire. Total damage is estimated at $50,000. There were no injuries, and the fire remains under investigation.